Koryo Tours hits out at South Korean web block
Koryo Tours, the Beijing-based travel agent that specializes in tours of North Korea, says South Korea has “over reacted” in blocking its website since the beginning of this year.
The websites koryotours.com and koryogroup.com have been unavailable from South Korean Internet connections since January 26 this year, apparently a casualty of South Korea’s campaign to stop its citizens from seeing North Korean content.
“This came as a complete surprise – we had not been notified in advance or asked to explain particular content, nor notified afterwards and given an explanation,” the company said in a statement.
Koryo Tours said it arranged a meeting with the Korean Communications Standards Commission, the organization responsible for South Korea’s Internet filter, through the British Embassy in Seoul “and were advised to change certain content of the site.”
“The website had been blocked on the grounds that the content of our website violated the National Security Act and other legislation prohibiting “propagandist” information about the DPRK, and prohibiting South Korean citizens from contacting or visiting the DPRK without permission. This was at the request of the South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS),” the company’s statement said.
Koryo Tours said it changed some pictures and removed links to North Korean websites but drew the line at other changes.
“We are not prepared to delete large amounts of factual content,” it said.
“We believe that the blocking of our website is disproportionate and unjust. There is plenty of information about all aspects of life in the DPRK, including propaganda posters, photographs of revolutionary statues and cultural performances, readily available on the internet. In addition, links to official DPRK websites can be found on many publicly accessible websites, including those of the BBC and British Foreign Office.”
The website remains blocked as of time of writing.
|Print article||This entry was posted by Martyn Williams on August 1, 2011 at 23:10, and is filed under Censorship, Internet. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
No comments yet.
- Das Nationale Sicherheitsgesetz hat Konjunktur: Verhaftungen und Anklagen in Südkorea — Warum das Schwert stumpfer werden sollte « Nordkorea-Info
- Das Koreanische Netzdilemma: Warum Südkoreas Regierung die Freiheit seiner Bevölkerung einschränkt um sie zu retten — Versuch einer Analyse « Nordkorea-Info
about 1 month ago - No comments
The mysterious cyber attack that hit an estimated 32,000 computers at South Korean TV stations and banks last week is looking more interesting, based on the latest analysis from computer security companies. The first immediate analysis concluded that the malicious software was pretty unsophisticated, in part because it was based on a piece of malware that…
about 2 months ago - 6 comments
A cyber attack on three of South Korea’s major broadcasters and several of its major banks appears to have been caused by a relatively unsophisticated piece of software, security researchers said Wednesday. [Story updated, see below] The attacks, which began at around 2pm local time on Wednesday (5:00 UTC) left desktop and laptop computers unable…
about 2 months ago - 3 comments
An apparently sophisticated and coordinated cyber attack has caused widespread disruption to computer networks and three of South Koreas largest broadcasters and two of the country’s banks. The attack first showed itself at 2pm on Wednesday when computers at KBS, MBC and YTN shutdown. Upon restarting, the computers displayed error messages saying they were unable…
about 3 months ago - No comments
File this one under business as usual. North Korea was again ranked second-to-last in Reporters Without Borders’ annual press freedom index while South Korea continued to drop down the ranking. The Paris-based press censorship watchdog ranked North Korea as 178th in its survey, just one rank above Eritrea. “Kim Jong-un’s arrival at the head of…
about 4 months ago - No comments
Well, this is a little embarrassing. The presidential transition team that Thursday blamed North Korean hackers for an attack on its press room now says there was no hacking. It all appears to have been a misunderstanding. Reporting on the reversal, Yonhap quoted an official on the team as saying the allegations stemmed from a disconnect in communications within…
about 4 months ago - 1 comment
Cyber attacks on South Korean networks suspected to have originated in North Korea are back in the news. On Thursday, Yonhap News reported that a computer server handling the Internet connection for the press rooms at South Korea’s presidential transition team had been hacked. The hack, which was not detailed, was detected during a security check by…
about 4 months ago - 2 comments
Just days away from completing a nationwide switch from analog to digital television, South Korea has announced plans to continue analog TV broadcasting in border areas so that North Koreans don’t lose access to the signals. Overseas radio and TV broadcasts are about the only free media available to North Koreans, although reception isn’t easy.…
about 5 months ago - No comments
Park Jung-geun, a Seoul-based photographer and free-speech activist, has received a 10-month suspended prison sentence for retweeting North Korean tweets. The case, one of several that has drawn international attention to South Korean Internet censorship, has been going on for the better part of a year and was being closely watched for its interpretation of how South Korea’s…
about 6 months ago - 1 comment
North Korea earlier this year jammed military communications running through a South Korea satellite, according to a report in the Joong Ang Ilbo. The newspaper, which quoted an anonymous South Korean military official, said a powerful signal sent from a location near Pyongyang caused interference to military communications on the Koreasat 5 satellite in March this…