North Korea attacks US funding of anti-censorship projects
North Korea’s state-run news agency issued a sharp criticism over the weekend of U.S. funding of technology projects that attack censorship.
The commentary, published on Saturday, points to dissatisfaction among the North Korean elite with U.S. funding of projects that enable the free flow of information and bypass Internet censorship.
It comes as U.S. State Dept.’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor (DRL) is evaluating proposals for its latest round of funding aimed at human rights and democracy in North Korea. The DRL is offering up to $350,000 to organizations for projects targeted at the DPRK.
North Korea maintains one of the most formidable state-sanctioned censorship regimes in the world, cutting its citizens off from all information except that issued by the government. Internet access is off limits for all but a handful of the country’s 25-million people, international phone calls are banned and foreign radio broadcasts are routinely jammed.
The Internet is much less easy to control and that’s the reason why North Korea doesn’t give its citizens access. After all, a look at neighboring China shows the Pyongyang elite the constant battle between traditional censorship and free flowing information.
Increasingly, Internet users are getting around censorship and in some cases using tools created by projects funded by DRL. The U.S. is also using the Internet to target closed societies with uncensored news services, such as the Korean-language services of Radio Free Asia and the Voice of America.
“It is the U.S. calculation that if it operates internet, it can destabilize those countries courting its displeasure, put other counties under its political, economic and military control and realize its ambition for world domination with ease,” KCNA said.
It went on to charge the U.S. with “ideological and cultural poisoning” of the world.
KCNA’s commentary comes at a time when the U.S. is stepping back from one of its traditional roles at the heart of the Internet.
The system of numeric Internet Protocol addresses and domain names, which is vital to the functioning of the network, has long been overseen by a California non-profit that’s operated on a contract from the U.S. Department of Commerce. Earlier this year, the U.S. said it would relinquish control of those core functions in favor of a system that has yet to be decided.
But the U.S. continues to fund democracy projects.
“The U.S. move to isolate and stifle the DPRK in various fields after designating it as a target of cyber attack is part of Washington’s scenario,” KCNA said.
It wasn’t until the end of the commentary that KCNA spelled out its true target, just so there could be no mistake: funding of specific groups that attempt to circumvent its information blockade.
“The CIA has long carried out cyber attacks, providing every year more than 20 million U.S. dollars to the anti-DPRK plot-breeding bodies in south Korea including “the Citizens Alliance for Human Rights in North Korea” “Network for Democracy in North Korea” and “Duri Hana” by instigating “the National Foundation for Democracy” under the mask of a non-governmental body.”
The latter is likely the Washington, DC-based National Endowment for Democracy, a major funder of projects aimed at North Korea,
|Print article||This entry was posted by Martyn Williams on May 26, 2014 at 13:46, and is filed under Censorship, Internet, Media. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
No comments yet.
about 3 weeks ago - No comments
The State Department said Monday that it remains confident in the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s conclusion that North Korea was responsible for the cyber attack on Sony — despite a growing number of voices saying that might not be the case. There has been some skepticism about North Korea’s involvement since the first reports earlier…
about 1 month ago - No comments
North Korea has reacted angrily to U.S. assertions that it was behind a devastating cyber attack on Sony Pictures. [UPDATE: The TV announcement is below the English statement] The official state-run news agency carried a statement from the country’s Foreign Ministry on Saturday that promised “serious consequences” if a joint investigation with the DPRK doesn’t tale…
about 6 months ago - 1 comment
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry took the opportunity of a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping to push the Chinese government to do a little more to enforce sanctions against North Korea. Speaking at a joint news conference after the meeting, Kerry said they discussed “the importance of enforcing UN Security Council resolutions that…
about 6 months ago - No comments
The U.S. government said Wednesday that it is concerned about a fourth round of missile launched by North Korea, in part because the country didn’t notify shipping and aviation traffic of its plans. Speaking at a scheduled news conference, State Dept. Spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters the launches won’t bring security to the DPRK. “We…
about 8 months ago - 1 comment
The revelation by North Korean state media on Sunday that Pyongyang suffered a major construction accident underlines how strong the regime’s grip on information flow remains, despite cracks appearing in recent years. The accident occurred on Tuesday, according to the domestic media reports, but the world didn’t hear anything about the incident until those first…
about 1 year ago - 1 comment
A recently-launched iPhone app that delivers articles from the Korean Central News Agency to iPhones and iPads has been banned in South Korea. The app, iJuche, was developed and published in late 2013 and was highlighted on NorthKoreaTech earlier this week. That publicity was apparently enough to get it blocked. “I just got a call…
about 1 year ago - No comments
If you use an Apple iPhone or iPad, there’s a new app that lets you stay current with news from the Korean Central News Agency. IJuche is the product of work by Peter Curtis, who says he became fascinated with the DPRK after reading Andrew Holloway’s “A Year in Pyongyang.” “When I decided that I…
about 1 year ago - 1 comment
North Korean state media’s coverage of the arrest, trial and subsequent execution of Jang Song Thaek was “tantamount to mass intimidation,” Reporters Without Borders said on Thursday. “Although only to be expected from one of the world’s worst dictatorships, such manipulation of news and information is disturbing,” the Paris-based group said in a statement. “The extensive…
about 1 year ago - 3 comments
High-level purges in North Korea have been typically quiet affairs in the past. Rumors would circulate that someone had been removed from office, state media would be analyzed for mentions of the person’s name and confirmation would usually only come months or years later when they either reemerged or someone else appeared in a position…
about 1 year ago - 24 comments
The Korean Central News Agency issued the following on December 13, 2013. The English version of the article was issued in two takes. The first take runs about half the length of the full story until the “(more)” below. The story was then updated with the second half. So when the story originally ran, only…