Uriminzokkiri, companion websites hacked
Uriminzokkiri, a China-based North Korean news website with close ties to Pyongyang, has been hacked. The site is currently inaccessible, companion websites have also been attacked and defaced, and it’s Twitter feed and Flickr pages have also been broken into.
The hack came hours after a list of apparently 9,000 registered users of the site was posted to the Internet.
The list contained user names, real names, email addresses, birth dates and other information including hashed passwords, which are the result of a process where a password is passed through an algorithm to disguise it. The attackers had apparently been able to break some of the simpler passwords, such as “123456,” and the password of the site administrator.
If the user ID and password of the site administrator was correct (North Korea Tech did not attempt to verify it by accessing the site), it would allow an intruder almost complete control over the site.
On Twitter, the Uriminzokkiri account saw it’s photo change to an illustration of a couple dancing the tango, the man with the Guy Fawkes mask that has become the symbol of the “Anonymous” hackers, and the words “Tango Down.”
The account was also used to send out information on the attacks:
One of the sites was changed to include a “wanted” poster that showed an illustration of Kim Jong Un with a Mickey Mouse tattoo and a pig’s nose and ears. Among the listed crimes: Threatening world peace with ICBMs and nuclear weapons, Wasting money while his people starve to death, Concentration camps and the worst human rights violation in the world.
The hack and the poster will likely be deeply embarrassing for the people running Uriminzokkiri and could land them in serious trouble with the authorities in Pyongyang.
In early 2011 the site’s Twitter channel was hacked and used to send out messages disparaging then-leader Kim Jong Il. It also carried a link to a YouTube that showed Kim Jong Un driving a sports car filled with birthday gifts while mowing down pedestrians.
After the hack Free North Korea Radio reported officials of the website had been questioned by investigators from Pyongyang over the hack.
The attack is the latest in a string of cyber-actions against North Korean Internet properties.
|Print article||This entry was posted by Martyn Williams on April 4, 2013 at 17:44, and is filed under Hacking, Security. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
- Corea del Norte en “estado de guerra” con el Sur | Dossier El Gran Fundamento
- North Korean Propaganda Website Hacked, Apparently by Anonymous | To Inform is to Influence
- North Korean Propaganda Website Hacked, Apparently By Anonymous | Kotaku Australia
- Anonymous verpasst Kim Jong-un eine Schweinenase
- DPRK Inherent Cyber Security Vulnerabilities
about 1 year ago - 1 comment
On Thursday, South Korea’s Yonhap reported on a new Facebook page in the name of the Korean Central Television, North Korea’s national TV station. (Updated. See below.) Yonhap said, “North Korea’s state broadcaster started real-time Facebook broadcasting as the communist country moves to expand its propaganda efforts into the social networking realm, official sources said Thursday.” In…
about 1 year ago - 2 comments
This week’s hack of the Uriminzokkiri website certainly raised the bar in the cyber battle currently playing out online. It marked the first time in the current round of attacks that anyone had managed to break in and deface a North Korean website. Over the last couple of weeks, several sites have been taken offline…
about 1 year ago - 13 comments
A hacker or hackers working under the umbrella of “Anonymous” claims to have broken into Uriminzokkiri.com, the North Korean-run site based in China, and taken over 15,000 user records. A message posted online makes the claim and includes details for six accounts, apparently showing user names, e-mail addresses, birth dates, and hashed passwords. These are…
about 2 years ago - No comments
Uriminzokkiri, the Chinese-based website that carries most of North Korea’s official propaganda output, has started a podcast and it’s available through Apple’s iTunes. The podcast is advertised on the front page of the website with a link that jumps to an Apple iTunes page. The page currently carries ten episodes of the podcast, which is…
about 2 years ago - 2 comments
Another Uriminzokkiri video has been removed from YouTube for copyright infringement. This time it’s a propaganda video that borrowed its soundtrack from the video game “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.” The takedown, confirmed by a message when users attempt to access the clip, comes just two weeks after a previous propaganda video was removed after…
about 2 years ago - 7 comments
That didn’t last long. U.S. video game maker Activision has filed a copyright takedown demand with YouTube resulting in the removal of a video that sees a North Korean man dream of reunification, Korean domination of space and the collapse of the United States. Uriminzokkiri is a semi-official North Korean web site based in China. It speaks…
about 3 years ago - 4 comments
A familiar newscaster dressed in black appears on screen and makes a tearful announcement: Kim Jong Il is dead. When North Korean state TV and radio broke the news at noon on Monday they had already given advance notice that a major announcement was coming. Its delivery was an attempt to set a national mood…
about 4 years ago - 1 comment
Uriminzokkiri, the China-based website that carries North Korean news to the world, was the center of attention earlier this month when its Twitter and YouTube channels were hacked. Four Twitter messages and a YouTube video denigrating Kim Jong Il and his son, Kim Jong Un, were posted on Jan. 8, which is reportedly the birthday…
about 4 years ago - 4 comments
The Twitter account of Uriminzokkiri, the China-based web site with close ties to Pyongyang, has apparently been compromised. (See the bottom of this post for updates.) Four messages posted on Saturday morning are derogatory to leader Kim Jong-Il and Kim Jong-Un, his son and heir apparent. Yonhap News translated one of the messages: “Let’s create…
about 4 years ago - No comments
South Korea’s government is planning to further restrict its citizens from accessing, discussing or forwarding North Korean propaganda activity on social-networking services, such as Twitter. The plans were outlined in the Justice Ministry’s plan for 2011, which was presented on Tuesday, although lacked specifics. The South already blocks about 30 pro-North Korean websites although never…