Pyongyang denies GPS jamming
North Korea denied on Friday that it played any part in a two and a half week long jamming of Global Positioning System (GPS) signals in the border area between North and South Korea.
The denial was carried in several state media outlets and said allegations that the DPRK was behind the jamming were part of “a new farce and smear campaign.”
The jamming took place between April 28 and May 14 and resulted in several hundred civilian aircraft and ships experiencing disruption to their navigation systems, according to reports. It made GPS signals unavailable or unreliable but didn’t result in any serious accidents. South Korean media quoted government sources as saying the jamming signals were coming from the North Korean city of Kaesong.
The North Korean denial was made by an unnamed spokesman for the DPRK’s Ministry of Post and Telecommunications in an interview to the Korean Central News Agency.
At first, the group was so stupid as to assert radio signals seemed to come from the north but later denied itself the story, saying this was not scientifically confirmed for fear of something.
Then the group said in the end it was clear those signals came from Kaesong. Recently it spread misinformation that the north used a vehicle-shape means for jamming the GPS imported from Russia and stopped the jamming operation under the influence of China which was allegedly urged by Lee to tell the north to halt it. — KCNA May 18, 2012.
Here’s the denial as broadcast on the English-language Voice of Korea broadcast from Friday (sorry for the poor audio quality)
Alongside denial of the jamming, the announcement was used as another chance to assert the DPRK’s innocence in the sinking of the South Korean ship the Cheonan just over two years ago. The Cheonan was sunk on 26 March, 2010, with the loss of 46 men. An international investigation pinned the sinking on a North Korean torpedo hit, but the DPRK has denied any part in the incident, which took place near the sea border between the two countries.
A recent hacking incident that paralyzed the computer network of South Korea’s Nonghyup Bank was also denied in the KCNA article. The North Korean government had also previously denied involvement in that incident.
The denial of the GPS jamming came at a time during which the North Korean media is using particularly harsh words against South Korean President Lee Myung Bak and his ministers, so the strong worded conclusion follows that line:
The story about the north’s jamming spread by the group of traitors is nothing but a desperate effort to shirk off even a bit the heavy responsibility for its thrice-cursed high treason.
The group is making its last ditch-efforts to escape punishment for its crimes but it should know that it is too late.
What remains to be done by the group is to make apology to the whole nation and the world and commit suicide. — KCNA, May 18, 2012.
At least two other GPS jamming incidents have taken place in the same area in the last two years.
A report to the South Korean parliament later in 2011 said the DPRK had imported “about 20 communications and radar jamming devices from the old Soviet Union.” Such units mounted on vehicles had been deployed near the border and disrupted GPS signals within a range of between 50- and 100 kilometers, the report said, according to a Yonhap at the time.
|Print article||This entry was posted by Martyn Williams on May 19, 2012 at 05:56, and is filed under Electronic warfare, Security. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
No comments yet.
- North Korea Denies GPS Jamming · Global Voices
- North Korean Economy Watch » Blog Archive » 122 ROK ships affected by GPS jamming
- 122 ROK ships affected by GPS jamming | Korea Watch
- Warmlaufen für den Präsidentschaftswahlkampf — Nordkorea als Argument und Akteur in Südkoreas politischer Debatte « Nordkorea-Info
about 2 days ago - No comments
Malicious software disguised as a computer game could have infected around 20,000 smartphones in South Korea, according to South Korean media reports quoting the country’s spy agency. The games were offered through South Korean sites between May 19 and September 16 this year, the National Intelligence Service said in a report to parliament. The apps have since been removed…
about 1 month ago - 7 comments
North Korea has banned the use of satellite Internet connections and WiFi networks by foreign embassies and international organizations unless they get government approval. The switch, which came in mid August, gives credibility to an earlier report that unencrypted wireless networks at embassies were being used by North Korean citizens to gain uncensored access to…
about 2 months ago - No comments
As a computer-based war-game, the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise that begins this week in South Korea requires lots and lots of computers. In pictures released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Defense, some of those computers and the complexity of the set-up can be seen. The images and a video show the inside of the…
about 5 months ago - 2 comments
North Korea strongly denied again on Sunday having anything to do with unmanned aircraft discovered crashed on the South Korean side of the inter-Korean border. Last week, the South Korean government said it had concluded an investigation into the incident and concluded the three drones were launched from North Korea. Among its evidence, Seoul said…
about 9 months ago - 1 comment
A recently-launched iPhone app that delivers articles from the Korean Central News Agency to iPhones and iPads has been banned in South Korea. The app, iJuche, was developed and published in late 2013 and was highlighted on NorthKoreaTech earlier this week. That publicity was apparently enough to get it blocked. “I just got a call…
about 10 months ago - 1 comment
A South Korean businessman has been arrested by local authorities on suspicion of passing classified information and video and audio system technology to North Korea, Yonhap reported on Saturday. The report said the suspect, identified only as a 54-year-old man called “Kang,” worked with agents of North Korea’s Reconnaissance General Bureau to pass the information.…
about 1 year ago - No comments
Despite living in one of the most wired societies in the world, South Korean Internet users enjoy a “partly free” Internet due to government censorship of content, according to the results of a global survey on Internet freedom. Censorship of content, which includes many websites that carry North Korean content, has shot up in recent…
about 1 year ago - 1 comment
South Korean defense officials plan to soon launch a high-tech blimp just south of the disputed maritime border with North Korea in November to get a better look into the neighboring country, according to a report in Stars and Stripes. The airship will hover over the island group that includes Yeonpyong, which is the island that was…